Wednesday 31 December 2008

Boozy chocolate truffles

I should start by noting that my family's a bit mad - not only does everyone buy presents for everyone else in the extended family, but at around 4pm on Christmas Day (this time it was between the turkey and the puddings....) we all get out another present for everyone else, "from our Christmas Trees". Yes, my tree buys small presents for about 15 people!

This year, I decided to be a bit creative with some of my tree presents, so made a massive batch of truffles for my Grandma and Grandad - plus many spare to take to people's houses over the festive season.

These were dead easy to make, though rather messy if I'm honest (though I think that was me, rather than the recipe!). Actually, the biggest problem I had was finding gift boxes to put the chocs in - I actually ended up making them out of card and covering them in tissue paper, which was a faff and a half!


Ingredients:
700g dark chocolate (around 70%)
600ml double cream
100g unsalted butter at room temperature
100ml amaretto liqueur (or other booze of your choice)
Cocoa powder
Chocolate vermicelli
Paper petit four cases

1. Heat the cream in a pan to just before boiling point.

2. Break the chocolate into pieces in a large bowl, and pour the cream over it.

3. Add the butter, and mix gently for a few minutes until all the chocolate is melted and it's glossy.

4. Pour in the booze and mix until all combined.

5. Pour into a large shallow dish, cover with cling and refrigerate for several hours until set (overnight is better, it takes longer then you think!).

6. Remove from the fridge for 5-10 minutes. Use a teaspoon to create 'chocolate shapes' and then use your hands to turn them into lovely round shapes, or slightly messier ones (my preference!).

7. Roll in the vermicelli or cocoa and place in the petit four cases.

8. Keep in the fridge til you want to eat them!

This made about 80 chocs.

0 comments: